What certification(s) do I need to complete my placement?

PHED 3106 and PHED 4106 students must have the following certifications on file, details can be found on your Course Outlines.  It is important to note that this list is not exhaustive and students may be required to provide other documentation and/or participate in training sessions outlined by their placement supervisors.

  • Vulnerable Sector Police Check
  • Standard First Aid and CPR Level C
  • Worker Health and Safety Awareness
  • Proof of Concussion Education

Can I start placement before the course begins, or extend it after the course completion date?

In short, no.  Courses run September 3, 2019 to April 3, 2019.   It is important that students and placement hosts recognize that there are administrative policies, and liability responsibilities we must adhere to for the protection of all stakeholders.  Clearance documents are a must, and under no circumstance will a student be approved in any placement involvement until all documents are received successfully.

How do I obtain my Vulnerable Sector Police Check?

Students entering into PHED 3106 must provide an original Police/Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC) that has been completed within 12 months of the course start date.  Students can obtain a requisition for a police check by contacting the Physical and Health Education Coordinator, which may be requested by certain jurisdictions and may assist in speeding up the process.
Students entering into PHED 4106 will be required to sign an Offense Declaration; however, in the event that their PVSC is not on file or completely outdated it will be their responsibility to obtain an new one for their course.  Costs associated with obtaining the document are to be borne by the applicant.

How often do I need to renew my Vulnerable Sector Police Check?

The BPHE program will accept PVSCs that are dated within 12 months of the course start date; however, should your placement host require more recent documentation then you will be required to provide one prior to any placement involvement.  The document is considered valid for one calendar year from the date it was issued. P

What does CLP stand for?

There are two required placement courses in the Bachelor of Physical and Health Education degree. These courses are referred to as Community Leadership Placements (CLP). The associated course codes are PHED 3106 and PHED 4106.
Combined, students will have the opportunity to complete 100+ hours of work placement.  PHED 3106 is a prerequisite to PHED 4106.

Can I secure my own placement in PHED 3106?

No, all PHED 3106 placements are assigned; however, students are able to indicate on their application forms a preferred location or host *.  Placement students must not undertake negotiations for a placement on their own behalf. Placements are not transferable; students are not permitted to ‘exchange’ placements with student colleagues.
* Important: Although we make every effort to assign student candidates to their first choice of placement, it is not always possible. Often, several applicants apply to the same sector. In these situations, positions will be awarded using a lottery system.

Will my PHED 3106 placement be assigned in North Bay?

All placements assigned in PHED 3106 take place in the Nipissing region, and unless stated otherwise are accessible via the municipal transit system.

I registered in a fall course section of PHED 3106/4106, will my placement take place in the fall?

Not necessarily; PHED 3106 and PHED 4106 are full year courses, and students are expected to be available for sessions and placement throughout the entire 23 week period. Many of the assigned placements span the academic year. This means, if a student were to register in the winter section,  the majority of their experiential learning project commitment (or placement hours) could take place in the fall or vice versa.

Are there in-class sessions in PHED 3106/4106?

Yes, there are two seminar meetings; a fall seminar meeting and one winter seminar meeting. The Physical and Health Education Coordinator will send additional information about the timing of these meetings closer to the meeting date; however, students should check WebAdvisor regularly in the event of time/room changes.